Graduated from the Tchaikovsky State Conservatoire of Moscow with a degree in opera and symphony conducting (Professor Gennady Rozhdestvensky’s class) and from the Popov Choral Academy (Professor Dmitry Vdovin’s class). Took part at the International School of Vocal Art master-classes.
He made his debut in the 2006 Russian premiere of Delius’ Eine Messe des Lebens with the Russian National Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vladimir Spivakov.
Since 2007 Igor has been a soloist of the Kolobov Novaya Opera Theatre of Moscow. In 2014 he became a soloist of the Bolshoi Theatre.
The singer’s repertoire includes the following parts (debuts only):
- Guy de Montfort in Verdi’s Les vêpres siciliennes at the San Carlo Theatre of Naples in 2011 and at the Greek National Opera in Athens in 2013
- Shchelkalov and Rangoni in Mussorgsky’s Boris Godunov at the Teatro Massimo in Palermo in 2012 and at the Bavarian State Opera in 2013
- Carlo Gustavo in Foroni’s Cristina regina di Svezia at the Wexford Opera Festival in 2013
- Rigoletto in Verdi’s Rigoletto at the Opera Giocosa di Savona in 2013
- Rodrigo in Verdi’s Don Carlo at the Bolshoi Theatre in 2013
- Seid in Verdi’s Il corsaro at the Teatro Verdi in Trieste in 2013
- Renato in Verdi’s Un ballo in maschera, a co-production of the Rovigo, Savona and Bergamo Theatres in 2012–2013
- Germont in Verdi’s La traviata in Göttingen (in concert),at the Bolshoi Theatre in 2012 and at the Novaya Opera in 2013
- Onegin in Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin at the Novaya Opera in 2010 and in the opera's concert version at the Grand Festival of the Russian National Orchestra conducted by Mikhail Pletnyov in 2012
- Lopakhin in the 2012 production of Philippe Fenelon’s La Cerisaie at the Opera national de Paris and in the 2011 world premiere in concert at the Bolshoi Theatre
- Dr. Falke in Strauss’ Die Fledermaus at the Bolshoi Theatre in 2010 and at the Novaya Opera in 2010
The singer has worked with conductors Kent Nagano, Gianluigi Gelmetti, Laurent Campellone, Vasily Sinaisky, Mikhail Pletnyov, directors Francesco Zambello, Rolando Panerai, Adrian Noble, Elijah Moshinsky, Vasily Barkhatov to mention but a few.
Igor Golovatenko is a permanent participant in the Grand Festival of the Russian National Orchestra led by Mikhail Pletnyov. The singer has performed with the National Philharmonic Orchestra of Russia led by Vladimir Spivakov and the New Russia orchestra led by Yuri Bashmet.
In 2017 the singer performed Tchaikovsky's romances at his recital at the Novaya Opera (piano – Dmitry Sibirtsev).
Awards and Honours:
- Honored Artist of Russia
- Prize-winner in Dresden’s International vocal competition, the Competizione dell’Opera (2nd prize, 2011)
- Prize-winner of the St Petersburg Three Centuries of Classical Romance international piano-vocal duets competition (1st prize, 2008)
Roles performed at the Novaya Opera:
Onegin in Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin
Robert in Tchaikovsky's Iolanta
Belcore in Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore
Count di Luna in Verdi's Il trovatore
Dr. Falke in Strauss' Die Fledermaus
Germont in Verdi's La Traviata
Olivier in Strauss's Capriccio
Figaro in Rossini's Il barbiere di Siviglia
Speaker of the Temple in Mozart's Die Zauberflöte
He-Cat in Valdgardt's The Cat's House
Marco in Puccini's Gianni Schicchi
Marullo in Verdi's Rigoletto
Amonasro in Verdi's Aida (in concert)
Alfio in Mascagni's Cavalleria rusticana (in concert)
Germont in Verdi's La traviata (in concert)
Carlo Gérard in Giordano's Andrea Chénier (in concert)
Parts in the productions:
Maria Callas (Musical offering)
Tribute to Evgeny Kolobov (concert)
Bravissimo! (opera mix)
Rossini (musical divertissement)
This is Opera! (dramatized performance)